Stress is normal and good as it helps us complete a task, survive danger, and focus faster. Stress, however, also affects our physical and mental health.
Chronic stress and stressful thoughts have a detrimental effect on our health, both physical and mental. When we are stressed our body releases the stress hormone, cortisol, through the adrenal gland that sits just above the kidneys. Under normal stress conditions, cortisol levels are quite high in the morning and taper off towards the evening when our body prepares to go into rest and sleep. This is why we have more energy in the morning.
High levels of stress cause our cortisol levels to run at high levels all day long which makes us agitated, anxious, and the adrenal gland eventually get tired, stops producing cortisol, and our bodies go into adrenal fatigue where cortisol levels run very low.
Three ways stress impacts our wellbeing
- Weakens our immune system, making us more prone to viral infections
- Can cause inflammation which is damaging to the brain, leading to anxiety, depression and a foggy brain
- Can cause weight gain as stress causes the cortisol levels in our blood to rise and cortisol can cause weight gain
It is crucial to manage stress by making time to relax, do things we enjoy, have some fun, and exercise more. Even moderate exercise will help relieve stress. It is also important to follow a healthy diet with quality proteins, healthy fats, and some low glycemic index carbs to keep our blood sugar stable throughout the day. Stay away from too much caffeine because it can increase your cortisol levels and make you more agitated and anxious. Have a cup or two in the morning but for the rest of the day focus on drinking rooibos tea. Remember, dehydration increases cortisol, so its important to prevent dehydration.
How does Carmién Rooibos Tea help to relieve stress?
- Carmién rooibos is highly beneficial to drink throughout the day because our teas are naturally caffeine free which help to keep our bodies relaxed.
- Rooibos is also high in polyphenols which has been shown to help regulate cortisol levels.
- Polyphenols also widen the blood vessels, causing them to relax and therefore help to reduce anxiety levels and high blood pressure.
- We have also added camomile to some of our teas, a well-known natural ingredient that specifically helps with relaxing and relieving stress. Camomile forms part of our Carmien Relax, Kiddies Sleepy Time and Orange Camomile teas.
- Carmién rooibos teas can be enjoyed as is, or cooled down as an ice tea served with honey/sugar or a little fruit juice and a slice of lemon. Add a 1-5 ratio of fruit juice or honey for children, preferably using as little sugar as possible.