Sweet potato added to this butternut soup gives it a slight sweet taste that works beautifully with the hint of orange and curry.
Makes about 3,5 litre soup
Preparation time; 10 min
Cooking time: 45 min
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed oil
- 15 ml (1 T) roasted masala
- 1 kg butternut chunks
- 500 g sweet potato chunks
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 liter Carmien rooibos tea made with 4 bags of natural rooibos, and 2 bags of ginger & chilli (Revive) and 2 bags of chai (Focus)
- 2 (28g each) chicken stock pods
- 15 ml (1 t) tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Big handful of chopped coriander
- Scoop creamy yoghurt or coriander pesto to serve (optional)
- Fry onion and garlic in heated oil till soft. Add the masala and mix well.
- Add the butternut, sweet potato, strained rooibos tea, stock pods and bring to the boil.
- Cook till the vegetables are soft. Add the tomato paste, season with salt and pepper and add a hand full of chopped coriander. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend with a stick blender till smooth.
- Spoon into soup bowls and garnish with yoghurt, pesto and coriander sprigs.